Welcome to ConThingy pre-beta!
We're still getting started here, so please pardon any mess. For now, here's what you need to know:
- We're a site for planning trips to cons, with everything that entails.
We want to be the sort of place that can take you from "Hey, that con next year seems interesting" to
"Have I remembered to book my hotel room and plane tickets and pack the right stuff?" to "Who was that person I met
on the 'Redefining Fandom' panel at Norwescon last year?" It's a big goal, and we're going to take small steps there.
- We're not open yet. Sorry, we just aren't. There's a lot to do before we can even call ourselves beta software.
But we see no reason to turn you away at the door. The registration system might be working. (Heck, we're pretty
sure it is, but no promises, okay?) Anything you can do with the system right now, go ahead. If you think it's neat now...
well, just wait till we're really ready.
- If something's busted, let us know. You can use the Contact page to send us a message. We make no promises about how
soon we'll get to fixing it, but we'd love to know how to give you what you want.
- We take every precaution with our data, but it's possible that anything you store on here might go away. Or be hideously
mangled by a bad SQL query. Or be subtly rewritten by malicious demons in the code. We're really not promising anything. We
aren't even open yet, remember? So don't keep anything on our servers that you'd be really sad to lose, and don't yell
at us if we lose it.
- There's no official Terms of Service yet. We don't have a lawyer yet, even a little. We don't know the right magic incantations
to put in the footer of our pages to make us safe in a court of law. So, we'll try this one:
There. That felt official.
- ConThingy, and all services provided at ConThingy.com, are provided AS-IS, with no warranty express or implied.
We make no promise that anything is suitable for any purpose at all, make no guarantee as to the accuracy of any
information provided on the site, and accept no liability for anything having to do with your choice to use our system.
It's not our fault; we warned you very clearly.
- There might be other users. You might be able to interact with them via portions of the system. Be nice to them, or
we reserve the right to be grumpy and build features to let us kick you out.
- It should probably go without saying, but we're not the government, and if we ask you not to say something, we're not
censoring you - you're free to say it on any server you like that isn't ours (and that the owners of haven't asked you
not to say it on). I shouldn't have to tell you that anything that disparages another user or class of people is Totally
Not OK here, so let's assume I didn't just say it and pretend you knew it all along.
- There will eventually be terms of service. They will supersede these informal guidelines, and have been written by a
lawyer. When they exist, if you don't agree with them, then you can delete your account. (We'll implement account
deletion by then, or you can email us and we'll strike it from the database manually.) They shouldn't be much different
than these, but probably harder to read.
- Do not taunt ConThingy. (That line is required by geek law to appear in all long policy statements, right?)
- With those caveats in mind, welcome to the totally-not-open-but-you-can-use-it-anyhow ConThingy!
Love, Your Development Team,
- Jason & Sylvia Wodicka